Thursday, February 16, 2012

Moving
I'm moving again.
I've been at my studio for almost 3 years, and now it's time to leave.
Moving here was an incredibly important step for me in my growth as an artist and illustrator because it allowed me the space to work out some of the creative frustrations that I had been experiencing shortly after I moved to New York. This is not meant to sound negative; frustration for me, can sometimes be a catalyst for something better that is about to occur. It's the emotional preamble to something wonderful. That was partly the reason why I felt that I had to move out of SHY Studio, that I shared with Yuko and Katie; I needed my own space to express because the edge of my desk became a limitation that hindered me from psychologically and artistically going to a place where I could truly explore ... and make a mess, move around and expand into every corner of the room.
I'm someone who works best alone.
I realize this now.
I can concentrate when it's quiet.
For years, I've been trying to take my work, and my business to the next level. This is such a vague way of speaking - only I know what the next level is - and it didn't feel right, until now. My move is more out of a visceral decision to do so. Yes, I need to know that I can afford this, to move into a larger space -- I don't allow myself the liberty to choose to do something unless I know that I can manage it.
And so, I will be back soon, probably in the next few weeks with photos and images to share.
But in the meantime, I've got to start packing.
I saw a documentary about Ed Hardy a few weeks ago, he said something near the end about the artist's studio. This is not verbatim, but hopefully it is the gist of what he said, "When you first start out and have a studio there are so many people around you. And over time, you notice that one by one people begin to leave... and if you're lucky then you will too, someday."

2 comments:

Daniel Cruit said...

Marcos, I hope your move goes well. Can't wait to see images of your new arrangement! But even more, I can't wait to see the work you'll be making in the near future.

Good luck!

Marcos Chin said...

... still moving Daniel... veeerrrryyyy slowly... but it's going well... the bulk of it's going to happen this week... but the new space is painted! but my BF and i still have to build in a dark room so we can silkscreen... shouldn't take more than a night... must order some pizza when we do to make the work easier :-p Hope you're staying well.