Friday, April 16, 2010

BREATHE AGAIN

James Blagden came to talk to my class on Thursday afternoon, and it was probably one of the most refreshing and genuine talks that I've heard in a while. It was great to hear about his transition from student to professional, and to listen to him speak about his approaches to illustration, or rather art in general.
If you've been keeping up with my posts then you'll understand where I am in reference to my own art, my craft, my design, my illustration. It's so difficult for me to compartmentalize them all, but really -- do I need to?
I just spent about 3 hours playing around with Photoshop and Flash, trying to make a crudely done animation (I just took a look at it on my blog and it's quite dreadful, but it's one of my first few attempts at animating in Flash since 2001 - I've done some other ones which are even crappier). I didn't think about concept or content, rather it was inspired by my getting acupuncture today. Yes, another whim of mine. Actually that's a lie, it's not a trite experience, rather I'm trying to find ways to reduce my allergies without having to go for weekly shots. I love spring, but it comes with some consequences. I must have been incredibly exhausted because at one point I found myself snoring on the floor of my apartment with a bunch of needles in my face, hands, and shins.
In my head, before I drew the person lying down receiving acupuncture, I had a very different kind of visual in mind. But as I continued, I realized that not everything that I do needs to be so precious. Sometimes the work is enough. It's not about hitting every mark, every time; it's not about having to seek out a future usage or application for everything I do, sometimes the simple act of mark making is all that is required to have a successful day at the studio. It's something that I learned from an instructor of mine about 2 years ago, that not everyday needs to be spent constructing a masterpiece; not all of the marks and lines, or colours or shapes on the page have to turn into the final marks that the viewer sees in my final illustration. That work in progress, that temporary work, that rough work, that ephemeral work, that work that is thrown into the trash; the first draft, the mid draft, the under drawing that hasn't yet been resolved after many attempts, all of that work is valid, all of that work is necessary in creating the path that will ultimately lead to the creation the final picture.

2 comments:

Ryan Cooper said...

Hey Marcos, just noticing the comment you left on my blog.

http://analogouslife.blogspot.com/2010/01/sketchbook-8.html

The organic feel is a thing I take very seriously. Thanks for dropping by.

R

alex fine illustration said...

I find that the work I do for myself with no pressure turns out better than my published work. I think it's because I can experiment and make marks I might be too afraid to make when working with an art director. It is nice though when an art director pushes me to try something new too.

Your new shirt designs look great by the way!