Tuesday, May 22, 2012

In My Toolbox
Here's a shot of my desk... although I work digitally, several years ago I started to actually paint on my prints and then rescan them into my computer where I alter them via Photoshop. I don't always use this method because not every piece that I do lends itself to the process, and I don't always have the time to do so, but when I do, I break out my tools. The paper that I use to print my work onto before painting on them is just a plain ol' "Hammermill" inkjet paper... I've using no-name photocopy paper in the past for this part of my process, but found that the actual print is too grainy, so when I scan it back into my computer, the quality of the image becomes diminished. I have to share that I've been using these colours since art college: yellow ochre, cadmium yellow, cadmium red, raw and burnt umber, prussian blue, cobalt turquoise (light), black, and white. The paints are watercolour and gouache - brands "Windsor Newton," and "Holbein." I also have  a set of "Dr PH Martin's" inks that I fell in love with when I was in high school and did a short internship at an animation studio in downtown toronto when I was about 18 or 19 years old. The animators who worked there introduced me to this brand of inks, and I haven't looked back since. For the line work I use a "0" brush; the one shown is a "Windsor Newton Sceptre Gold II" Sable Brush Synthetic (hair). Typically, I'm not so precious with my brushes, unlike some artists who are very specific about the brushes they use. As I very seldom employ painted components within my work, my purpose in finding the proper brush is to look for any fine liner with hairs that won't splay out too much after a few uses. The "Windsor Newton" brand I found has been pretty reliable and easy to find in stores.  To clean my brushes I use water and "B & J The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver." New York Central on 3rd avenue near E11 Street is for me, the best art supply shop that I've been too thus far. Yeah, there are other good ones, but this particular store feels right for me. Okay, back to work!

* In the second photo above is a mouse pad by artist Gary Taxali, and you can see part of my illustration in progress for SooJin Buzelli at Plansponsor Magazine.

No comments: