Monday, December 13, 2010

NEW WORK






I haven't got much to write about today, except that I wanted to post up new work. Really, I should be updating my website, but it's faster to place images onto my blog instead. The past several weeks have been a bit loco work-wise, but I'm thankful for it. It's tough to understand one's own limits sometimes, and how it would be best to balance work and personal life. Actually, I've begun to include my personal list of things to do on my "to-do" list. I think it's easy for freelancers especially, to forget that there are so many things in life to do in addition to work. It's hard for us not to get caught up in the race to grow our careers and to capture all of those trappings that could be associated with it.
But maybe that's only me.
I try to pull back from the fever of work once in a while, to not get swallowed up by the daily routines, of the chore of clocking in and out.
day
in

and
day
out.
It can eat away at a person, allowing him or herself to forget what it means to be here.
What does it mean to be here?
Here.
She asked me last week what it means to be here.
I nearly forgot about it until a few days ago.
Friday night, when I was here, alone at home while he was working.
I've told him that I missed him when he works late.
But that's what I need to do in the meantime, he says.

I finished my deadlines for today.
Actually, that's somewhat of a lie.
I could be working on another assignment, but I have been working on commercial projects all weekend.
I think I need to work on some personal pieces.
I'm in a group show in January in the Lower Eastside at Krause Gallery. The show is being curated by the boys at Spank.
Spank you very much.
Will send you more details very soon.
In the meantime, I'm working on some sculptural pieces informed by an automatic drawing exercise that I've done in my studio. I'm having a seriously fun time, but I'd lie to you if I said that I couldn't feel the spit from the demons that are whispering into my ears.
Why are you doing this?
It's been done before.
You suck.
You're not a sculptor.
Take a break.
There's a pizza shop down the street.
Take a break.
No.
not yet.
not until I've remained in this uncomfortable place for a while longer.
I tell my students to learn how to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.
Now, I have to do the same.

* The illustrations above are for Car and Driver, Bloomberg Business Week, Plansponsor, Runner's World, Playboy, and ESPN.

5 comments:

MJC *-* said...

Love the 4th illustration because of the white lines. That's awsome. Nice going.

mark smith said...

All great, number 3 particularly!

Marcos Chin said...

* MJC thanks for this post :-D and also for the previous ones... been super busy lately, hence the slackness in my response... hope your work is going well too!

** Mark , thanks also for chiming in - i appreciate it :-D

MJC *-* said...

Marcos: Oh it doesn't matter. I know you will read it anyway somehow.

I believe focus is the key! Even now, when i'm writing here, i should be working on my deadline. Destraction is everybodies enemy.

Paint. paint. Paint.

martabeceiro said...

wowwww!!!!
I love it!